Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mississippi's Moment--and My Mississippi Manifest Destiny

One way or the other, debate or postponed debate, the nation's eyes will be on Mississippi tomorrow.

In May I ventured to the Magnolia State for my latest travel series, which I called "My Mississippi Manifest Destiny." I still have to write my summary post, but the each entry in my series, including stops in Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Illinois. All of the posts can be found here. The Mississippi entries are linked below.

While doing research for the journey, I learned that the state was taking a lot of pride in hosting the first presidential debate. Mississippi usually scores at the bottom in national income and education rankings, this is the time for Mississippi to shine.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Oxford, where tomorrow's debate will be might be held. I lost a lot of time battling severe thunderstorms while driving on the beautiful Natchez Trace.

Various My Mississippi Manifest Destiny posts:

Corinth
Coca-Cola museums
Teddy Bear
Churches
What Mike Espy is up to these days
Mound Bayou, a town founded by freed slaves
Blues Trail

Tupelo posts:

$aving$ in Tupelo
Elvis Presley's birthplace
Where Elvis bought his first guitar
The Battle of Tupelo

Natchez Trace posts:

The Natchez Trace Part One
The Natchez Trace Part Two, Indian Mounds
The Natchez Trace Part Three
The Natchez Trace Part Four, Ghost Town
Logging

Natchez posts:

The Father of Waters
Natchez Part One
Natchez Part Two, Forks of the Road
Natchez Part Three

Vicksburg posts:

Vicksburg Battlefield, Part One
Vicksburg Battlefield, Part Two, State Memorials
Vicksburg Battlefield, Part Three, Illinois Memorial
Vicksburg Battlefield, Part Four, The USS Cairo
Vicksburg Battlefield Part Five
Mississippi River at Vicksburg
Memorial Day tribute to our ally Australia
Memorial Day--a time to remember
Mississippi River at Vicksburg

Leland posts:

Highway 61 Blues Museum
Leland's Blues Murals
Birthplace of Kermit the Frog

Clarksdale posts:

Clarksdale, Home of the Delta Blues
Robert Johnson's Crossroads
Clarksdale's Old Greyhound Station

Technorati tags:

No comments: