Monday, June 02, 2008

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: $aving$ in Tupelo

No special significance to this Tupelo, Missisissippi filling station (we call them gas stations in the Midwest), I just liked the 1950s garishness of it.

While taking photographs of the filling station, the owner of the motel I was staying at--which is across the street from the hotel I stayed at two Tuesdays ago, thought I was interested in buying the establishment. Why else, he reasoned, would I bother taking photographs of it? I explained that I was a blogger, and that I was in Tupelo mainly for the Elvis stuff. He was an Indian-American with a strong accent, who exclaimed to me "You talk very funny!"

I could have responded likewise, but the truth is, in my line of work (not the blog) I hear far more Indian accents than southern drawls.

Just a few steps from "$aving$" is Woody's Restaurant. The innkeeper told me that Elvis used to dine there after he became a star, and according to Woody's web site, he did. There's a motel that's part of the Woody's complex, and the King was a guest there. I thought about having dinner there, but steak is Woody's specialty, and I wasn't in the mood for red meat that night.

Next: The Natchez Trace

Previous My Mississippi Manifest Destiny posts:

Where Elvis bought his first guitar
Elvis Presley's birthplace
The Battle of Tupelo
Corinth
Shiloh Part Four
Shiloh Part Three
Shiloh Part Two
Shiloh Part One
Carl Perkins
The Varsity Theatre in Martin, Tennessee
Lincoln and Kentucky
Metropolis

Technorati tags:

No comments: