Monday, June 23, 2008

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Coca-Cola museums

One pleasure of travelling by car in "flyover country" is that there all all types of specialty museums that are allowed space to breathe in smaller communities found along the byways. Chicago has about a dozen mega-museums--yes, they are worth visiting--but for the most part they lack charm and character. Not so with the two Coca-Cola museums I found in Mississippi. But first, a sad confession. I stumbled across both of these museums just after they closed for the day, but I was able to peek in the windows and get a feel of what's inside--and decided both were blog-worthy.

My first actual Mississippi post in this series was about historic Corinth. Besides the Civil War battlefield sites, Corinth boasts a Coca-Cola museum, it's within walking distance of the Crossroads Museum.

Vicksburg, an equally historic city, also has a Coca-Cola museum, it's in the downtown section of the town, some distance from the Vicksburg National Military Park.

Later in this series, I report on my visits inside the Highway 61 Blues and the Jim Henson museums in Leland.

Related post:

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Corinth

Next: Vicksburg Battlefield

1 comment:

Levois said...

I guess Atlanta isn't the only place to go for Coca Cola history.