Monday, April 21, 2008

From Frank Thomas to Thomas Frank

Yesterday I blogged about Frank Thomas, this time it's Thomas Frank. The latter is known for his 2004 bitter liberal pill, What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America.

Just as Bill Kristol was hired as a token New York Times conservative, the Wall Stret Journal has followed suit, and taken a liberal columnist under its wing--Thomas Frank is the chosen one. Thomas is a native of the Kansas-side suburbs of Kansas City, but for a while lived in Hyde Park, home of Barack Obama (and William Ayers).

This appears to be the year of that elitist South Side Chicago neighborhood.

From Thomas' op-ed:

If Barack Obama or anyone else really cares to know what I think, I will simplify it all down to this. The landmark political fact of our time is the replacement of our middle-class republic by a plutocracy. If some candidate has a scheme to reverse this trend, they've got my vote, whether they prefer Courvoisier or beer bongs spiked with cough syrup. I don't care whether they enjoy my books, or would rather have every scrap of paper bearing my writing loaded into a C-47 and dumped into Lake Michigan. If it will help restore the land of relative equality I was born in, I'll fly the plane myself.

Here we go again...A lib stoking the fires of class warfare. True, Thomas doesn't quite call for that, but by calling for "equality," that means the "haves" need to cough up something for the "have-nots." Meanwhile, the American way is for the "have-nots" to aspire, and sometimes succeed, in joining the "haves."

The with an exception here or there, the Democrats don't get it, which is why they keep losing presidential elections.

H/T to Brainster

Related posts:

Marathon Pundit Exclusive: "What's the Matter With Kansas?" Debunked on Page One: UPDATED AGAIN

In search of the real El Dorado, Kansas

My Kansas Kronikles: A 39 Post Series

Technorati tags:

No comments: