Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy birthday, Abraham Lincoln

Blogging from CPAC in Washington.

Although I'm busy with my CPAC activities, I have to take time out to wish a Happy 202nd birthday to Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president.

Lincoln of course died in Washington--from an assassin's bullet. So these words from his farewell address in Springfield are a bit more poignant for me this afternoon.

I now leave, not knowing when or whether ever I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of that Divine Being who ever attended him I can not succeed. With that assistance I can not fail.
Related posts:

Thirty hours in Lincoln's Springfield, Illinois
Abraham Lincoln birthplace site
Abraham Lincoln birthplace site's log cabin
"My earliest recollection is of the Knob Creek place"
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Jonesboro, site of the third Lincoln-Douglas Debate
Report from Tampico, Illinois on Reagan's 100th birthday

Technorati tags:

No comments: