Tuesday, April 06, 2010

"South Side Kid" Obama can't pronounce Comiskey Park, name any White Sox players

Yesterday I doubted President Obama's veracity as a Chicago White Sox fan. It turns out I was right to do that. Washington Nationals color analyist Rob Dibble, who pitched for the South Siders on their awful 1995 team, gave the Chicago transplant a softball interview. Or so one would think.



Here's a transcript, courtesy of Weasel Zippers:

Obama: You know, I'm a South Side kid, ummm...

Dibble: Who's one of you favorite White Sox players growing up?

Obama: You know, umm, I thought that ummm, you know, the truth is a lot of the Cubs I like too. But, uh, ummm, I did not become a Sox fan until I moved to Chicago. Because I ummm, when I was growing up in Hawaii, ummm so I ended up actually being an, ummmm, an Oakland A's fan. The nice thing about the Sox is it's real blue collar baseball...

If Obama was even an A's fan, do you think he'd remember that the White Sox gave Oakland its only real competition in the American League Western Division in 1972, the years the A's won their first World Series? The top Sox players then were first baseman Dick Allen--who won the Most Valuable Player's Award that year, third baseman Bill Melton, and knuckleballer Wilbur Wood, who trivia whizzes know was the last pitcher to win and lose 20 games in one season.

Obama and I are the same age, by the way. The Chosen One moved from Indonesia back to Hawaii in 1971.

And finally, no White Sox fan calls the former name of their home stadium as "Com-MINSK-key Park.

It was Comiskey.

Sheesh.

But there is some good news: It could mean that yesterday was the last time Obama wears a Sox cap in public.

Related posts:

Buehrle performs play of the year on Opening Day as White Sox win; Obama rude

Interleague scheduling oddity: White Sox vs. Nationals in 2010

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those players with Austrian last names sure are tough remember, much less pronounce!