Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Upper Peninsula Upventure: Eagle Harbor Lighthouse

As Greg Lake once sang, "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends." It's time to begin another travel series, the Upper Peninsula Upventure.

For the uninitiated, I'm speaking of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Unlike my previous travel series, which I more or less wrote about in sequential order of how I traveled through the respective states, I'm going to present this one in a thematic fashion.

My first post is about the Eagle Harbor Light House--which means I'll be writing about lighthouses for a while.

Eagle Harbor is on the northern end of the Keweenaw Peninsula, the onetime heart of the U.P's copper mining region.

The peninsula juts out into Lake Superior, it's peninsula minor to a peninsula major.

The original lighthouse was constructed in 1851, the current structure was built in1871--it's been automated since 1980. The red and light light beacon has been in place since 1968.

Because of their isolation, lighthouses are popular settings for horror movies and mystery novels.

And Eagle Harbor is said to be a haunted lighthouse.

Next: Copper Harbor Lighthouse

Technorati tags:

No comments: