Wednesday, July 18, 2012

(Photos) Drive through the Lake Mead National Recreation Area

After the conclusion of Americans For Prosperity's RightOnline in Las Vegas last month I rented a car and drove to the Valley of Fire State Park. On the way back to Vegas I drove through the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

What follows are my favorite photographs from that part of my trip.


From just outside of the state park.


I half expected to see Wile. E. Coyote and the Road Runner here. All of the photographs posted for this entry are from the Northshore Road.


That's Blue Point Spring, a natural desert oasis.


The water for the spring comes from a nearby cave.


A typical scene along the road.


Oh yes, the lake. Lake Mead of course is a reservoir that was created when Hoover Dam was completed.


I'm not sure if that formation is big enough to be a mesa. As with the rest of southern Nevada, sandstone dominates the recreation area.


Iron accounts for the reddish-hue of this sandstone formation.

Related post:

Pictures and video: Valley of Fire State Park

No comments: