Tuesday, May 15, 2012

(Video) Dem congressman Cohen criticizes 'parasite' asbestos lawyers, recalls Warren Zevon's death

US Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN)--who I've been tough on in the past as you will read here--criticized lawyers who work on asbestos cases at a hearing of the he House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Courts, Commercial and Administrative Law last week.


And maybe I've been a little hard on Cohen, a Memphis liberal. It turns out that he was an "absolute best friend in the world" of the great Warren Zevon, one of my favorite artists, who died of mesothelioma in 2003. That form of lung cancer has been linked to exposure to asbestos, which lawyers advertising on television love to remind viewers

"He did not seek a lawyer, didn't want damages," Cohen recalled about Zevon. "I had a few parasites--I'm an attorney--but I had a few people call me and talk to me, quote-unquote friends of mine, friends because they wanted to get to Warren to take his case. And Warren was good and didn't do it."

Warren was very good.

Related post:

Warren Zevon: Mohammed's Radio

Technorati tags:

No comments: