Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Fall colors: Skokie's Harms Woods

On Saturday I went on a ten mile run and bathed (metaphorically of course) in some splendid fall colors in Skokie's Harms Woods Forest Preserve.


There are more oaks in Harms Woods in comparison with other area preserves.


That's a pin oak in the center. I suspect it was planted, as I don't see too many of them growing naturally in Chicago's northern suburbs. It's in a part of the preserve where the grass is regularly mowed.


Sugar maples greet a cyclist.

More maples. The photographs in this post were all captured within a half hour and within a single square mile.


Red leaves, orange leaves, red leaves...pink leaves? Is this a young box elder?


The North Branch of the Chicago River passes through Harms Woods.


"They snap their photographs and say 'Gawd darn it, Isn't it a pretty scene?'" From the Kinks' "Village Green."


A river backwater. Perhaps not my best photograph here, but because of the many thorny bushes in this area, it was difficult for me to reach this spot. I'm not going to let the cuts on my legs to go to waste.


The picnic shelter was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression.


Nature brings the best out of all of us.

Related posts:

No comments: