Friday, October 30, 2009

Upper Peninsula Upventure: Agate Falls

The Upper Peninsula Upventure now turns to waterfalls. My first one is one of the best, Agate Falls near Paynesville. The Ontonagon River reaches erosion resistant sandstone near Michigan State Route 28. It's quite accessible, there is a rest area next to the park, and above the falls is a trail bridge, which was once a railroad.

But to get the best view of the falls, patience and agility are required. After 31 marathons, the latter is not my strong suit, but I made it down to the bottom of what can only loosely called a trail. There are no directions to this spot, and I'm sure the Michigan Department of Natural Resources strongly discourages what I did.

But I wasn't the only one.

Next: Canyon Falls

Related posts:

Yosemite Falls

Bridalveil Fall

Technorati tags:

No comments: