Thursday, November 30, 2006

V for Vilsack but probably not for victory

If I recall, an obscure Georgia governor was the first Democrat to publicly announce his intention to run for president in the 1976 contest. That guy ended up winning.

So today, an obscure Iowa governor is the first Democrat to officially throw his hat--which might've been a John Deere cap--into the 2008 Democratic presidential ring.

This governor, Tom Vilsack, is probably trying catch lightning in a bottle twice, repeating the Jimmy Carter miracle, as well as catching fire on the internet--think Howard Dean--to come from the nowhere of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and landing on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Yes, history tends to repeat itself. But miracles--or near miracles--usually don't.

This President AP report refers to Vilsack's "heartland appeal." Although I live in the heartland, I'm unfamiliar what heartland appeal is.

I wonder if I have heartland appeal? Not that I'm looking for anyone, but for fun I occasionally look at the personal ads, and I never see "heartland appeal" mentioned.

Technorati tags:

No comments: