Sunday, October 30, 2005

Alan Dershowitz on Tony Snow's Fox News weekend radio show: Preemptive wars and Iran

I caught the end of Alan Dershowitz being interviewed on Tony Snow's Fox News weekend radio program this afternoon on Chicago's WLS.

He said his next book will be called "Preemption: Cutting the Knife Both Ways." I may have gotten the last part wrong.

Professor Dershowitz talked of the importance of, in the right situation, of a preemptive war. Obviously, he commented, Britain and France attacking Germany in the late 1930s would have been the right thing to do.

Dersh is concerned that (and he's not alone in this opinion) that the war in Iraq may have been a bad move in at least this respect: It makes the case for a future preemptive war, Iran comes to mind, the professor said, less palatable.

This next statement jumped out at me:

"The one constant in this discussion is this: Iran must not possess nuclear weapons."

Not sure if I got the quote word for word, but he said essentially what you see above.

By the way, I find myself agreeing more and more with Alan Dershowitz. I don't think I'm becoming more liberal, and I don't think he's becoming more conservative.

It's all part of, I believe, the sea-change in the political landscape in the post 9/11 world.

No comments: