Saturday, July 02, 2011

Ronald Reagan Trail: Henry

Ronald Reagan was born in Tampico, Illinois in 1911. Tampico is in Whiteside County, which is named for General Samuel Whiteside, who was a general in the Black Hawk War of 1832. The next stop on the Ronald Reagan Trail is Henry, which is named for James D. Henry, another Black Hawk War general.

Other than passing through Henry from Dutch's home in Dixon many times on his way to Eureka College and back--the town's ties to Reagan aren't particularly strong. But Henry makes up for it in spirit. Two Reagan Trail paintings grace the wall of a business adjacent to Henry's Central Park.

On September 11, I will post a follow-up entry about the veterans' memorial there.

Truss bridge, Henry
As with the other small towns on the Reagan Trail, I didn't see many people, although a group of teens were hanging out in the park. They ignored me. Since I'm in my 40s, I'm of course inconsequential to them.

Henry is the last Illinois River town on the trail. On the right is the Illinois 18 truss bridge. In the 19th century, this section of the river was harvested for mussels--the shells were used to make buttons.

The first time I saw Henry was in 1976 while I was on my way to watch the Illinois high school state cross country meet. It might have been the first rural Illinois town I'd ever been in. Somewhat close to the Chicago area, but then again, so far away.

And Henry is the last Illinois Route 29 town on the trail. Princeton is next.

The Reagan Trail YouTube channel entry on Henry follows.


Earlier posts:
Related posts:

No comments: