Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny--Lincoln and Kentucky

The bicentennial celebration, which will last two years, of Abraham Lincoln's birth in 1809 is in full swing.

While making my way down south towards Mississippi, I stopped at the Kentucky Welcome Center in Paducah. Kentucky, where Lincoln was born, is taking the lead in marking the birth of this great man.

One of the ways Kentucky is celebrating is sending what the state historical society is calling a HistoryMobile exhibit, called "Kentucky’s Abraham Lincoln." And there it was at the Welcome Center, just waiting for me.

Inside the trailer is a brief rundown of Lincoln's life in Kentucky.

Earlier My Mississippi Manifest Destiny posts:

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny--Metropolis

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny--The Trail of Tears

Related Lincoln posts:

Thirty hours in Lincoln's Springfield, Illinois
Abraham Lincoln birthplace site
Abraham Lincoln birthplace site's log cabin
"My earliest recollection is of the Knob Creek place"
I found this bit of history in downtown Chicago today
Book review: Andrew Ferguson's "Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America"
Andrew Ferguson video on his new book, Land of Lincoln

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Stew Magoo said...

I think maybe the Abe folks saw Clinton's library (that wishes it was in a trailer park) and just got jealous...