Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny--The Varsity Theatre in Martin, Tennessee

I like the look of old movie theatres, and late into my first day on the road, I stumbled across the Varsity Theatre in Martin, Tennessee. As is the case with most old movie palaces, this structure no longer shows films. However, this one is unique--it's now a fitness center. It's a good place to work off the buttered popcorn you might have eaten while at a multi-plex in Martin.

Related post:

My Kansas Kronikles: Oklahoma's strange panhandle (with Guymon's American Theatre)

Previous My Mississippi Manifest Destiny posts:

Lincoln and Kentucky

Metropolis

The Trail of Tears

Technorati tags:

3 comments:

Cal Skinner said...

If you are into old movie theaters and ever visit the Eastern Shore of Maryland, you'll find a fully preserved one called the Avalon Theater across from the Tidewater Inn.

The cost was 16 or 18 cents for the Saturday afternoon shows when I was first allowed to go alone in the late 1940's.

babs said...

How in the world did you find the theater? Most people use the by-pass not realizing that it is shorter to go through town, and traffic? What's that?!
My sister, friends and I have seen many movies at that theater, gossiped about what couples were sitting in the back doing what, and I even remember my mom and dad taking us to see "White Christmas", but we had to sit there wearing rollers in our hair. Not a cool thing to do. Hope nobody saw us. By the way, I now live in Chicagland, too. Our favorite theater here is the Tivoli Theater in Downers Grove. The decor inside is really great, huge screen and movies are only $4.

DonnaR said...

Wow, my teenage theater! I live in Florida, sister to Babs. I can't believe you have a picture of it here. Another cool theater is in Keokuk, IA (southeast corner on the Mississippi). It's been everything over the years and is still used for everything including community shows and films. It's old, supposedly haunted, and great! Your blog is interesting -- I'm just starting one but it will be a work in progress.