Saturday, June 13, 2015

(Photos) Marathon Pundit rescues snapping turtle from certain death

I was tipped off by my boss that a common snapping turtle was attempting to cross Oakton Street, a busy Des Plaines, Illinois thoroughfare. As I am known as a nature buff at work, he knew I was the right person to save the massive reptile from certain death.

The boss took this pic. I snapped the other two.

This photo was taken right after I removed the turtle from the curb--and after its projectile urination.

The common snapping turtle can give a painful bite, but unlike the somewhat rarer alligator snapping turtle, in cannot bite off a human finger. These turtles can live over 100 years.

Related post:

(Photo) Snapping turtle on the banks of the Des Plaines River


Anonymous said...

name it shelly

Jeff Edelman said...

Despite living in the water (most of the time), they smell like they haven't had a bath in 100 years. This is the breeding season -- for turtles, specifically. (So, if you're doing it, it's ok.) But, that is why so many are seen on or near the roadways.