A labor union that endorsed Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn's re-election campaign in Illinois has donated money to an unlikely source — the Libertarian candidate running against him.Let me repeat, this union endorsed a real Chicago liberal, Quinn. For the record, Rauner is a suburbanite.
The move by the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 150 is an apparent attempt to siphon votes away from Republican Bruce Rauner in the tight race.
The group paid for glossy household mailers that describe Libertarian Chad Grimm as "the only true conservative choice for governor," noting his opposition to abortion and his support of gun rights. The same mailings describe Rauner as a "Chicago liberal."
IUOE Local 150 spent $200,000 on the mailers and it has contributed $30,000 directly to the Grimm campaign.
One more time: A vote for Grimm is a vote for Quinn.
- Daily Herald endorses Bruce Rauner for Illinois governor
- Rauner wins Crain's Chicago Business endorsement
- Chicago Tribune endorses Rauner for governor
- Chicago Sun-Times strongly endorses Rauner for governor: "We're all in"
- Belleville News-Democrat endorses Rauner for Illinois governor
- Peoria Journal Star endorses Rauner for governor
- News-Gazette endorses Rauner for Illinois governor
- Rauner gets State Journal-Register endorsement
- Quad City Times endorses Rauner
- Decatur Herald-Review backs Rauner for governor