Saturday, August 02, 2014

Wisconsin marker at the 45th parallel--halfway between the equator and the North Pole

Frank E. Noyes, a newspaper editor, was a bit of a character it seems. In 1938, according to RoadsideAmerica, the Marinette, Wisconsin native decided to erect three markers on what he ascertained to be the 45th parallel. This one I photographed six years ago on US Route 41 a few miles south of Peshtigo, Wisconsin.

Noyes, who put his name on the markers, called this spot the "theoretical half way point between the North Pole and the equator, due to the "spheroidal shape of the Earth."

I believe he meant to say the planet is round.


At the equator it is a tradition for sailors to offer a gift to King Neptune. At the North Pole it's customary to visit Santa's castle. When I took this picture, my only thought was to get back on the road and head south to Illinois and home.

Next time I'll bring presents--I promise.

The marker is part of a sweet little park with a picnic table.

Related post:

October 8, 1871: The Peshtigo Fire

Technorati tags:

No comments: