Sunday, August 11, 2013

ILL-inois: Quinn may make it easier for criminals to get state jobs

Even a hardened Illinois cynic such as myself believes that working for the government should be a privilege. But in corruption-ridden Illinois, Gov. Pat Quinn, whose two predecessors are felons, may make it easier for criminals to get state jobs.

From the ultra-liberal In These Times:
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat, has promised to issue an administrative order within the next two weeks "banning the box" on applications for state government jobs. Applicants with criminal histories will no longer have to check a box disclosing that they have been convicted of, or plead guilty to, a crime.

The announcement is a victory for the Worker's Center for Racial Justice, which organized hundreds of ex-offenders to send postcards to Quinn's office asking for ban the box legislation. The center was founded in 2012 as the first labor center in Chicago to focus on African Americans and made "banning the box" the centerpiece of its first-year efforts.

DeAngelo Bester, co-founder of the labor center, says that Quinn's order will keep job applicants with criminal backgrounds from being discredited for state jobs right off the bat. Now, he says, they will have "the opportunity go in front of an employer and make their case."
While I have sympathy for ex-offenders--a criminal conviction should not become a life sentence of unemployment--in a state where corruption is deeply rooted, such as ILL-inois, yes, I believe there should be a check-off box for offenders seeking a job with the state.

As for Quinn, who was a two-time running mate of federal inmate Rod Blagojevich, this looks like a move to designed to gather support for his 2014 reelection campaign.

I did say I was a cynic, right?

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People make mistakes in life. I choose to be anonymous but I was convicted of retail theft. I had a drug problem since I was in my teens. For me there was no such thing as childhood. I had to steal food from the store just so my sister and I could eat. I got involved with the wrong crowd and eventually didn't care about my life anymore after I got arrested twice. This might sound pathetic but if you have never been arrested you probably would not understand. Think for a second if you are intelligent but made a mistake. Really want to do something about the problems around you but are constantly judged not just by the government or employers but by your family and former friends. People refuse to hear your side at all times. Well guess what there is another side. This time to myself has allowed me to study what I want (everything from biotech to quantum physics.) I can get into top notch universities and supposedly have a bright future ahead of me. It's been 6 years but it still keeps me from getting a job. I have not been arrested at all within that time. Now sorry I know I rambled a bit. But as per this program there is an obvious need for oversight. Which the government is notorious for lacking. As a "convict" myself I am even skeptical as to whether or not this is a good idea (violent crimes, sex crimes, etc) have a safety concern. But to this day there are many good people out there including myself that deserve a second chance but seldom get it. If this is a right step in that direction I'm all for it. Like I said my only concern is oversight. Thank you for reading!