Monday, May 14, 2012

No parents, few teachers at Occupy Chicago Day of Education

The run-up to the NATO Summit in Chicago has many satellite events. One of those hootenannies occurred today in front of Dyett High School next to Washington Park about a mile from President Obama's home. The Obamas didn't think much of Chicago's public schools, even though he chose the president of the Chicago Board of Education to be his Education Secretary.

Because of low test scores, Dyett will close at the end of this school year, the teachers can apply for jobs at another Chicago public school, but there is no guarantee they'll be hired.


Including media, there were 75 people there. About 10 Chicago Teachers Union members there--but half of them taught at other schools. The Chicago Teachers Union endorsed the Occupy movement last fall. 

There were maybe 20 students there--the rest were occupiers.


Such as this one who was assisting the students with art projects. Oh, his shirt includes Obama's infamous quote, "We are the ones we've been waiting for."

But...what about the ones who are the parents of the students? I talked to most of the adults there--and I couldn't find a single parent.

Also, video was a challenge because of the near constant drumming and an annoying hum from one of the television trucks. I decided to videotape some of the drummers--and this rude jerk who must have recognized me as the Marathon Pundit kept stepping in front of my camera when I started to record. I moved. Finally I began recording and he decided to pepper me with questions, in effect, ruining my recording. Then he stepped in front of my camera again--on purpose of course.

What a boor.


Good luck, tough guy, keeping up with me among the several thousand marchers on Sunday at the big anti-NATO march. And your group--with your permitless rallies--claims to support the First Amendment.

Here's a tip--treat me nicely--I might return the favor.

And if you can't cope with journalists who won't fawn over the ultra left-wing Occupy movement, I have this suggestion: Grow up.

Related posts:

Video: Chicago Teachers Union organizer welcomes Occupy Chicago to new home

New film narrated by Juan Williams rips Chicago Teachers Union

Technorati tags:

No comments: