Thursday, May 17, 2012

Illinois' shakedown on smokers

In today's Peoria Journal Star Phil Luciano enlightens us about Illinois' extortion racket.
The state can try to pull more money out of smokers, who might or might not opt for the black market instead. But be sincere, Springfield. If you want to put the squeeze on smokers for more loot, don't pretend the main goal is better health.

It's a shakedown. Period. Hey, on the tall ladder of nasty Illinois politics, legal extortion isn't even at knee level. Just be honest about it.
And I'd like to add, as I'v done so many times before, that revenue from tobacco taxes almost never match politicians' forecasts. Everyone else ends up paying.

The Democrats want this tax to pay for Medicaid expenses. Instead, they may want to kick off people who use it who shouldn't be on the program. But that means that they spend less! Oh dear, that can't happen!

Technorati tags:


1 comment:

Electronic Cigarettes said...

Thanks. But how does it taste? I hated the smoke51. The taste was really sour. What does the menthol taste like? I got the the kit with all flavors. Me and my stepdad are spilting it. Be ordered an extra atomizer and we are going to spilt the kit bewtween us. So we will both have one. But anyways, I am a menthol smoker and I like the feeling from them. Lightheaded I geuss I would say. Does this give that effect? I mean the good phsical relief of a cigarette?