Sunday, October 02, 2011

My 2007 post on Medicine Lodge and the Carrie Nation home; and an error I noticed in the show

I just finished watching he first chapter of Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's Prohibition on PBS. I enjoyed it immensely and I was glad it was tough on the know-it-all progressives who assisted in leading America into the blind alley of banning alcohol. Burns is a big liberal and I suspect as much from Novick.

As part of "My Kansas Kronikles' series, I visited Medicine Lodge, where Carrie Nation envisioned her violent attacks on saloons. As you will see in the below post, her home still stands in the western Kansas town. It's operated by the Women's Christian Temperance Union, which is still based two towns east of me in Evanston, Illinois.

Oh, Ken and Lynn: When you discuss the temperance movement of the 1840s, don't show a photograph including a banner with "Kansas" in it--the top half of Kansas is missing in the picture, but I could still make it out. Kansas wasn't opened to white settlement until 1854, but the people in the photo are lily-white.

Related posts:

My Kansas Kronikles: Medicine Lodge

Happy 150th, Kansas! With over 40 Sunflower State posts!

Technorati tags:

No comments: