Sunday, October 09, 2011

Chicago Marathon 2011: My favorite photograph

Joe Elliott of Essex, England
I'm going through my Chicago Marathon photographs and I've uncovered one that I believe will end up being my favorite. Joe Elliott of Essex, England was all smiles when he was at Mile 26 this morning.

Liliya Shobukhova of Russia won the women's race for the third year in a row, her time was 2:18:20. In the men's contest, Kenya's Moses Mosop set a new course record with a finishing time of 2:05:37.

It was a bit warm today, 70 degrees, when the bulk of the runners was crossing the finish line. The ideal temperature for marathon running is 50 degrees.

Tragically, a runner died. William Caviness, 35, collapsed 500 yards before the finish on the Roosevelt Road bridge. I saw five runners collapse on that bridge--which to runners is a hill.

Next: Video of the start of the wheelchair race.

Technorati tags:

The Untitled Journals of Steve Donovan's Marathon Training by Donovan, (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments: