Monday, May 30, 2011

Red-winged blackbirds

Since my domestic readership will be down on Memorial Day, I thought I'd do a post today on a very common American bird that will be viewed as exotic by my readers abroad.

Red-winged blackbirds are among the earliest spring arrivals of migratory birds. They are prefer to nest in wetland area. They are sexually dimorphic, the male, pictured on the left, is distinguished by its black plumage and its red and orange shoulder patch. The female red-winged blackbird has dull brown feathering with speckles. The male is very aggressive during the breeding season, I've been attacked--a male tried to chip away at my head--while running in Evanston a few years ago.

Both birds were photographed at the Chicago Botanic Garden earlier this month.

Related posts:
Technorati tags:
\

No comments: