Saturday, January 08, 2011

Roger Daltrey: Mannish Boy

Roger Daltrey's vocal performance in last year's Super Bowl was disappointing, but he redeemed himself on New Year's Eve when he performed the Muddy Waters classic "Mannish Boy" on Jools Holland's annual Hootenany for the BBC.



I was fortunate to see The Who in concert twice within six months, albeit with Kenny Jones, not Keith Moon, on drums. A couple of years after those shows, shortly before he died, I got to listen to Waters "belt them out" at Chicagofest.

Waters recorded several versions of "Mannish Boy," the definitive one can be found on the Johnny Winters-produced Hard Again album.

Related posts:

The Who: Super Bowl acoustic performance
The Who: Super Bowl performance, part one
The Who: Super Bowl performance, part two
Thirty years ago today: Keith Moon dies
The Who: Cut My Hair
The Who: Substitute
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Blues Trail
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Clarksdale, Home of the Delta Blues
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Robert Johnson's Crossroads
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Highway 61 Blues Museum
My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Leland's Blues Murals
Highway 61 Blues Highway marker unveiled on Thursday

Technorati tags:

No comments: