Saturday, June 19, 2010

John Prine: My Old Man

Two weeks ago my Saturday musical selection was Steve Goodman's "Daley's Gone." which was very well received. So today, in honor of Father's Day, I'm posting John Prine's performance of his good friend's composition, "My Old Man."

Prine of course is an accomplished songwriter as well. I noted in my first entry that Johnny Cash included Goodman, who died in 1984, as among his favorite songsmiths. Prine also made Cash's list.

Prine and Goodman were graduates of Chicago's vibrant folk scene of the late 1960s, both men grew up in the city's suburbs.


As you listen to Prine here, you'll be reminded that father-son relationships are sometimes complicated.

Related posts:

Steve Goodman: Daley's Gone

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Johnny Cash's boyhood home


No comments: