Monday, December 07, 2009

Sen. Kent Conrad's flip flop on Medicare

From the Senate Republican Communications Center:

MEDICARE CUT FLIP FLOP

Senator Says Opposition To Medicare Cuts Trying To “Scare People” But Years Ago Complained “Rural Hospitals All Across America Will Close” As A Result Of Smaller Cuts

MOMENTS AGO:

SEN. KENT CONRAD (D-ND): “Now, Madam President, One of the things that is most striking to me in listening to our friends on the other side is they're trying to scare people into thinking that the savings in Medicare are going to disadvantage Medicare beneficiaries.” (Sen. Conrad, Floor Remarks, 12/7/09)

JUNE 28, 1995

SEN. KENT CONRAD (D-ND): “Reducing Medicare … Make no Mistake, rural hospitals all across America will close. I have dozens of such hospitals in my state.”

SEN. KENT CONRAD (D-ND): “Republicans are reducing Medicare $270 Billion over this 7-year period; Medicaid by $182 Billion. Make no mistake, rural hospitals all across America will close. I have dozens of such hospitals in my state.” “Mr. President, this Republican budget is a monument to misguided priorities. It is unfair and just plain wrong. There are draconian reductions in Medicare, Medicaid, education, agriculture, and public investments that benefit average Americans. And why? So they can give massive tax breaks to the wealthiest among us. This budget, make no mistake, is a return to trickle-down economics. … For example, the Republicans are reducing Medicare $270 billion over this 7-year period; Medicaid by $182 billion. Make no mistake, rural hospitals all across America will close. I have dozens of such hospitals in my State. I have talked to the administrators. I have asked them the effect of these budget plans, and they have said to me, ‘Senator, we will close our doors. We will have no option.’” (Sen. Conrad, Congressional Record, S.9248, 6/28/95)

Technorati tags:

No comments: