Thursday, May 28, 2009

Union blues

I'm proud to a union man
I make those meetings when I can, yeah
I pay my dues ahead of time
When the benefits come I'm last in line, yeah.

Neil Young, "Union Man," 1980.

Here are a couple stories you won't find in the New York Times.

The Wichita Eagle has a report about a former financial secretary for Local 558 of the Steelworkers Union who has been accused of embezzling union funds.

I don't know what to make of this story from the Stockton Record. Over 100 employees of 100 Kaiser Permanente who favor dumping SEIU for the National Union of Healthcare Workers took part in a protest yesterday.

NUHW activist Jeff Taylor, a five-year Kaiser employee, said the Kaiser Stockton workplace has become "very chaotic. Kaiser is mistreating its workers and not protecting their rights. It is favoring SEIU, because SEIU won't fight for better wages and worker rights. We just want Kaiser to back off workers and let us organize. They should not be breathing down our backs."

Related posts:

SEIU's pervasiveness in Oregon

SEIU prez refers to democracy as ugly

SEIU prez: Union spent $60.7 million to elect Obama

SEIU's influence being felt: Obama administration threatening to yank stimulus funds from California

Technorati tags:

No comments: