Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chicago sit-down strike over

Remember the sit-down strike? Just two days ago that was the biggest story in Chicago. Much has happened since.

Well, the workers at Republic Windows and Doors voted to end the strike, as CBS 2 Chicago reports:

Workers have approved a $1.75 million agreement, ending a sit-in that lasted six days at a Chicago window and door factory.

U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez says Wednesday that each former Republic Windows & Door employee will get eight weeks' salary, all accrued vacation pay and two months' paid health care. He says it works out to about $7,000 for each worker.

The plant's owners, union leaders and Bank of America forged the agreement Wednesday.

Two days ago, Governor Rod Blagojevich ordered the state not to conduct business with the Bank of America, because the mega-institution cancelled a line of credit to Republic, which led to the sudden closing of the business.

At a press conference in front of the shuttered firm that day, Blagojevich had this to say:

"I should say if anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it. I appreciate anybody who wants to tape me openly and notoriously, and those who feel like they want to sneakily and wear taping devices, I would remind them that it kind of smells like Nixon and Watergate," Blagojevich said.

"But I don't care whether you tape me privately or publicly, I can tell you that whatever I say is always lawful and the things I'm interested in are always lawful and if there are any things out there like that, what you'll hear is a governor who tirelessly and endlessly figures out ways to help average, ordinary working people," Blagojevich said.

"You might hear a couple of words that you might not hear publicly, but those are only adjectives to describe maybe some of you," he told reporters.

"There are probably a lot of discussions about the Cubs and some of my ideas on what they ought to do in the off season, but you know, this is America, you know, and I appreciate if you want to tape my conversations, give me a heads up and let me know," Blagojevich said.

As you'll read in the below post, Gutirrez has been in the public spotlight too.

Related post:

Candidate for Obama Senate's seat has made over $400,000 in real estate deals

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets see how long they can stay out
of the red. Couldn't Republic
Windows and doors Co. have filed
for chapter 11?

Jim Roper said...

Thank you for the comment
Anonymous, but the ever "Elusive"
Mr. Ruberry cut off your ability to
remain Anonymous!!!! Apparently
he wants you off this site for
Good!!!!!!!!