Tuesday, May 13, 2008

From Elvis Presley's hometown

Treo blogging from Tupelo, Mississippi.

First of all, scroll up. A big thanks to Third Wave Dave for putting up a great Bill Ayers post.

Okay, you may not have heard of W.S. Holland, but I'm sure you have heard of Elvis Presley. And besides Elvis, Tupelo is known for something else, an 1864 Civil War battle, one that ended in a draw.

Two years earlier, the battles of Shiloh, in Tennessee, and Corinth took place--both Union victories.

Shiloh is awesome, I spent two hours there and I easily could have spent two more. Corinth is about twenty miles south of Shiloh. Since much of the fighting took place in the town, there aren't many unspoiled battlefield sites in Corinth. But the National Park Service Interpretive Center there is fabulous, and I recommend, if time, or your driving route makes it practical, that you visit Corinth before Shiloh.

Eventually I made it to the Natchez Trace, which brought me to Tupelo.

More Trace tomorrow, then Vicksburg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the blog owner. What a blog! nice idea.