Friday, April 18, 2008

Coming in May--My Mississippi Manifest Destiny

I'm back out on that road again
Turn this beast into the wind
There are those that break and bend
I'm the other kind, I'm the other kind

Steve Earle, "The Other Kind," 1990.

After thoroughly enjoying my trip to the Sunflower State, My Kansas Kronikles, I've decided it was time for a new trek.

Here are my rules for picking a my next blogging vacation.

1) It must be a state that I haven't visited
2) It can't be common vacation site
3) The state's tourism department must send me a Hefty bag filled with $100 bills

I compromised, and found a place that met two of the three criteria.

And the winner is....Mississippi! I leave May 11.

Like my Kansas trip, I have some spots I definitely want to visit. I'm certain, as I did in Kansas, to find some surprises along the way.

What's on my list of things to see? Two Civil War battlefields, Corinth and Vickbsburg.

What else? The Natchez Trace, Highway 61--The Blues Highway, and Oxford, home of William Faulkner and the University of Mississippi.

And finally, the march to the beach...the Gulf Coast.

Any suggestions? Lemme know!

Oh...a couple of things going on might compel me to postpone this trip. But they probably won't happen...

So it's off to Mississippi next month!

Look for some Mississippi stories to find their way here I leave.

And yes, I'll be taking pictures.

Related post:

My Kansas Kronikles: A 39 post series

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Levois said...

I would suggest Mound Bayou, a town founded by former black slaves. You should be able to get thru there or around there I think there are signs to point you in the right direction on Hwy 61. I don't know if there is a blues tradition there though.