Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obama's Wright speech

I just finished watching Barack Obama's "race" speech. Obviously I'm not a supporter, but I thought it was flatter than last night's Jolt Cola. And Obama needed a jolt to overcome the inflammatory comments made by his longtime pastor and spiritual advisor.

Once again, he repudiated Wright's toxic remarks, stating:

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely – just as I’m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

I've never heard vile stuff like that during any church service I've attended. Most Americans can probably say the same thing.

Friday Obama told Fox News' Major Garrett that he had not heard Wright make such venomous comments during sermons he attended, and when pressed, Obama told Garrett that he'd quit the church if Wright made such remarks "repeatedly."

Towards the end, he rambled off topic to talk about Iraq, "a war that never should've been authorized" and "jobs being shipped overseas," health care, and a kid eating "mustard and relish sandwiches" because nothing else is affordable. He turning what was supposed to be a talk about race into a campaign rally--applause began intruding upon Obama's speech during the "political" part of his speech.

I don't recall Mitt Romney doing that during his speech on his Mormon faith he made last year.

My take? Obama's speech won't sway the opinions of those swing voters he desperately needs to win in November--that is, if he's the Democratic nominee.

Technorati tags:

4 comments:

pathickey said...

Rubes,

I merely read the transcript - pretty thin beer, but monumentally self serving.

This speech was not about race so much as it was about Obama.

In the theology of Victimhood, one's personal and public problems get cloaked in societal blame.

Sorry, Senator, you wear the jacket on this one. It is not about race. It is about your deficiencies as candidate for the Presidency.

http://hickeysite.blogspot.com/2008/03/john-m...

Marathon Pundit said...

He seemed a bit tentative in the speech. He's feeling the heat.

Yep, it was more about Obama, not race.

Anonymous said...

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

the wolf said...

Absolutely – just as I’m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

I found that part particularly insulting. The invective hurled by Wright in no way represents anything I've ever heard in a church service anywhere. How dare he guilt the rest of us with this association.