Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Live from Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

Sorry about there being no blog entry yesterday, but I spent most of Monday and Tuesday inside Mammoth Cave National Park--out of cell range with my Treo.

Monday morning Mrs. MP, Little MP, and I visited the birthplace site of Abraham Lincoln, near Hodgenville, Kentucky. The Lincoln cabin is there, although it can't be verified whether this primative structure is the one that the future president was born in.

There's a small Lincoln museum in the town of Hodgenville. It's just three dollars to get in. Let's just say we got our money's worth there.

Mammoth Cave: We literally set up camp there later that day, and over the following day and a half we took two cave tours. More on that--and the history of Mammoth Cave tours when I get back to Morton Grove. Hiking was what we did between tours.

Visiting a national park off-season is great--no waits, no traffic tie-ups.

At 5:30pm Central Tuesday we left for eastern Tennessee. I was behind the wheel through what seemed to be pretty country--unfortunately it was night.

In Mammoth the trees were maybe a week short of their peak fall colors. I'm hoping with the higher altitude of the Great Smokies, we'll hit those colors straight on.

I'm typing this on my Treo 650 at the Days Inn Pigeon Forge.

Tomorrow we head through what may be America's tackiest stretch of roadway, Tennnessee Route 66, to the Great Smokies.

And we have to drive past a Ripley's Believe It Or Not musem and a Ripley aquarium to get there.

What, no wax museum?

No comments: