Thursday, July 28, 2005

Cook County GOP chairman fired from day job (after offering $10,000 bounty for Mayor Daley conviction)

Even though I've lived my entire life in this state, Illinois politics still shock me....Two days ago, as blogged here and elsewhere, Cook County GOP Chairman Gary Skoien a offered $10,000 reward (money that the Cook GOP doesn't presently have) for information leading to a conviction on corruption charges of Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago.

This stunt got the beleaguered county Republican organization a great deal of publicity (a rarity), as AP and CNN ran stories about Skoien's offer.

Well, maybe too much publicity. Until late today, Gary was the Chief Operating Officer of The Prime Group,, a big real estate firm. But his boss, Prime Group CEO Mike Reschke, is a supporter of Mayor Daley and has contributed to his campaigns. Reschke fired Skoien today.

From ABC 7 Chicago:

"The mayor has been a friend for 15 years, and I see no reason why I should let someone in my employ personally attack the mayor. Simple as that," said Mike Reschke, The Prime Group, Inc.

Ouch!

Here is the press release: Prime Group Chief Reschke Fires Skoien

No comments: