Saturday, June 18, 2005

Follow up on the Chicago City Council attempted land grab

On June 6, I posted this message about Alderman Patrick Levar's overstepping his powers by abusing eminent domain to declare a Chicago bicycle shop "blighted," so a developer can tear down the bike shop, Sportif, Ltd., and put up expensive condos in its place

En route to a business appointment Tuesday night, I drove past Sportif, and discovered why the developer, Demetrius Kozonis, wants Sportif's property--of course at his price, not Sportif's.

1) Sportif is located just two blocks from the Lawrence Avenue exit ramp of I 90/94

2) Equally close is the Jefferson Park el train station

So, my initial response, I firmly believe, was correct. The developer, Kozonis, is using the alderman to muscle down Sportif's selling price; that is if indeed, the bike shop wants to sell .

Oh, Alderman Patrick Levar, a corpulent fellow, may want to visit Sportif and buy a bicycle. He could definitely benefit from a good daily workout. A cheap shot against Levar? Perhaps, but he's the bully here, not me.

This is not, the only idiocy that's been emitted from the Chicago City Council this month. Alderman Mary Ann "10 Acres per Elephant" Smith, as noted in a Friday post, essentially wants to keep Ringling Brother and Barnum & Bailey Circus out of Chicago forever.

I'll remember all of this nonsense the next time I drive into a pothole on one of Chicago's streets

No comments: