Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Galesburg coyote

Galesburg, Illinois, June 6, 2011
My Ronald Reagan Trail journey took me to Galesburg, Illinois yesterday morning. Right behind the town's Galesburg welcome sign on Seminary Street, I saw a coyote.

The coyote blended in well with the corn stalks. I thought it was a dog, but when I noticed it walking in a nearly-perfect straight line--dogs, God love 'em, generally frolic aimlessly--I knew I had spotted a wild canine.

It's the fourth time I've seen a coyote. The first two instances occurred in national parks, the other time is was in Skokie, Illinois' Harms Woods.

Monday was my first visit to Galesburg. What a greeting!

UPDATE June 8: Jay Redfern of the Galesburg Mail-Register writes about my coyote sighting and more right here.

Related posts:

I'm back from driving Illinois' Ronald Reagan Trail

California Collision: Mule Deer
My running partner this afternoon: A buck
Four Corners Furtherance: My rattlesnake sighting

Technorati tags:

Fieldline Omega OPS Daypack - Coyote (Google Affiliate Ad)

3 comments:

Sir Galen of Bristol said...

I grew up in Galesburg, and my father still lives there.

Great place!

Marathon Pundit said...

I'll have a couple of more posts on the town. Hope you like them.

Jay Redfern said...

John, thanks for attaching the link to my blog. Look forward to your upcoming blogs, especially on Galesburg.