Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My inaugural poem

Elizabeth Alexander gave what she calls a poem after Barack Obama's flat inauguration speech. Here is mine, which took about 10 minutes to write.

Today was inaguration day. The sun is out, and most people weren't in Washington or watching it on TV.

Man, is it cold where I live. Al Gore was at the inauguration--where is my global warming?

The mainstream media has succumbed to Obama mania. Especially in Illinois.

Blago is bad, which makes Illinois sad.

That's my rhyme, and if I wanted to, I would do it more of the time.

Why didn't Elizabeth Alexander's poem have any rhymes?

Did you see Dan Quayle today? He has gained a lot of weight.

Man, a lot of people probably feel stupid about waiting for hours in the cold for the inauguration.

What was ESPN showing during Obama's speech?

How many more times am I going to hear about William Henry Harrison giving a two hour inaugural address, catching a cold, and then dying a month later?

TV coverage, commericials, more coverage.

Carl Sandburg was a poet, and I went to Carl Sandburg High School. And the Carl Sandburg High School Marching Band is performing in the inaugural parade.

Brit Hume is wearing a tie that is the same color as Michele Obama's dress.

There was a farmer who had a dog and Bingo was his name-oh!

The end.

Technorati tags:

6 comments:

jill said...

That's beautiful. I feel inspired.

pathickey said...

Let Us Go then you and I
And let the other #$%^er Buy!
Beer is to Rent and Never
Eat Meat but once during Lent;
Cast a Cold Eye Upon Life and on Death

And Forgive MS. Alexnder's Deadly Tone Deaf!

That Poem -rather last minute homework - did not quite pass the finger test.

Marathon Pundit said...

Thanks, Pundette.

Yes, it does not pass the "finger test." But at least no one is accusing her of plagiarism.

Trish said...

I have a tear in my eye.
Wish I'd read this yesterday, when I couldn't stand one more minute watching the news media prostrate themselves over the coronation of the One. That's when I needed such thoughtful, deep inspiration!

jill said...

Let's not overlook the real poetry offered by Rev. Lowery. It even rhymed. Also set a great example for our youth on how to view fellow human beings.

Marathon Pundit said...

I was still in shock that Alexander was allowed to read that thing of hers...so I didn't catch what he said on my first viewing.

Lowery is eighty-seven and lived during Jim Crow, so I'll cut him some slack, but he should've been told "white becomes right" was right out.