Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny (and the March to the Beach)

Daddy's gone south on the Natchez Trace
If he can't show the money
Then he don't show his face

Mark Knopfler, Daddy's Gone to Knoxville, 2002.

Early tomorrow morning I leave for the follow-up to My Kansas Kronkikes--My Mississippi Manifest Destiny, and with a tip to the hat to the protagonist's goal in Mr. Bean's Holiday--getting to the beach. Most likely at Ocean Springs.

But there is some political news to get to first. On Tuesday there will be a special election in Mississippi's 1st Congressional District. Republican Greg Davis is matched against Travis Childers (what a Southern name!). It's a reliably safe Republican seat--or one would think. But two prior 2008 special elections, Illinois' 14th and Louisiana's 6th, both were captured by Democrats in Republican "safe" districts. However, the GOP candidates in those races were weak--both were two-time losers in their attempts to win US Senate seats.

Here's my travel plan. Depending how early I rouse myself from bed tomorrow morning, I plan make the Shiloh Battlefield--that's in Tennessee, and then head into Missisippi to Corinth, and visit that battlefield. And then to the Natchez Trace and beyond.

That will likely include--weather, time, road conditions and the like may effect my itenary--the following locations.

Tupelo
Oxford
Philadelphia
The McCain family's ancestral home, Teoc.
Highway 61, the Blues Highway.
Jackson
Vicksburg Battlefield
Ocean Springs and the beach.

Any suggestions? Levois of It's My Mind suggested Mound Bayou. I'm not taking my laptop, as I don't want to lug too much stuff around, or--horrors--see something valuable dissappear. I will be Treo blogging, something I haven't done since my Kansas trip. I'll have two cameras, a GPS device, and a voice recorder, lest anyone want to be interviewed by some guy from Morton Grove, Illinois.

Outside of a Mississippi tourist brochure, Marlo Carter Kirkpatrick's Mississippi Off the Beaten Path, I don't have much else to go on when I get to the Magnolia State.

Related post:

Marathon Pundit's My Kansas Kronikles

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

Levois said...

Highway 61 is an interesting ride although they seem to like to shift it every now and then. The Highway 61 of today is different than the one I'm more familiar with and even that highway is different from the classic highway. Don't be surprised when you see signs for Old Highway 61.

Oh and when you get to Jackson, MS visit the alma mater of Walter Payton. Jackson State University an HBCU.

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.