Billionaire environmentalist Tom Steyer is falling far short on his pledge to raise $50 million in outside money to make climate change a midterm-election weapon against the GOP.Related posts:
His super PAC, NextGen Climate Action, has raised just $1.2 million from other donors toward that goal, according to still-unreleased figures that his aides shared with POLITICO. And he appears to be struggling to woo wealthy allies in his effort to compete with big-money conservative donors — leading some supporters to question whether his fundraising goal is realistic.
So far, the only really big donor to the Steyer cause is Steyer himself.
- (Exclusive photo) Lake Superior iceberg in June
- Global warming news: Coldest Chicago winter ever
- Global warming news: Lake Michigan sets record for most ice cover
- Good news: Global warming skepticism on the rise
- Global warming news: The 97 percent myth