Monday, February 04, 2013

Kirk: I'm an optimist now

Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL) suffered a major stroke 13 months ago. After a year of recovery, Kirk is now back on the job.

In yesterday's Washington Post, Kirk discusses his new outlook on life.
I’m different from what I was. My left leg and left arm might never work like they once did, but my mind is sharp. I’m capable of doing the work entrusted to me by the people of Illinois, but I am forever changed.

I’m an optimist now, grateful for every blessing. Bad things happen, but life is still waiting for you to make the most of it. I want my life to count for something more than the honors I once craved. I believe it will.

My faith is stronger. My humility is deeper. I know I depend on family and friends more than I ever realized. I know, too, that the things that divide us in politics are infinitesimal compared with the dignity of our common humanity.

Climbing the steps of the Capitol on Jan. 3 was one of the greatest moments of my life. It was a goal fulfilled and a message to all stroke survivors: Never, ever give up.
Technorati tags:

Taking Charge of Your Stroke Recovery: A Personal Recovery Workbook by (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments: