The Brotherhood of Blackheads was a German commercial-military organization. During the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the eastern Baltic region was ruled by the German Livonian Order. They built the House of Blackheads in Riga in 1344, substantial renovations followed. Six days after the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union, the building was destroyed in an air raid. In 1948, the communists buried the rubble.
After independence, Latvia decided to rebuild the House of Blackheads, the project was completed in 2001, in time for Riga's 800th anniversary.
The photograph was taken by Mrs. Marathon Pundit in March.
- Twenty years ago: Latvia's Barricade Days
- Riga Doms and Latvia's Barricade Days
- Latvia 20 years after independence: Tearing down a Stučka statue
- 1990 bread line in Riga, Latvia
- Potato harvesting in Latvia in the early 1970s
- From the other side of the Iron Curtain: Gas mask drill in Latvia
- Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad
- Latvian President Valdis Zatlers visits Chicago--with exclusive photo