Sunday, December 20, 2009

Downstate Ill. mayor collects $6,400 for NOT taking sick days

True fact: I have not missed a day at work in my present job since 2000--my first week on the job--when my grandmother died. Oh, I've been sick since then, but miraculously, my illnesses have occurred on my days off.

I guess I'm a chump, because I've never collected any extra money for my diligence.

Unlike, for instance, the Mayor of Cahokia, Illinois, near St. Louis, as the Belleville News-Democrat tells us.

Mayor Frank Bergman was recently paid the last of $6,400 he has received this year above his salary -- a stipend he said he was owed for six years worth of not taking sick days.

Two village trustees have asked, "What sick days?" They say elected officials don't get sick days.

And former Cahokia Mayor Dee Reed said she never tried to claim any sick pay.

Kyle Johnson and Trevon Tompkin cite the Illinois Constitution as prohibiting Bergman from increasing his salary above the $40,000 approved by village ordinance several years ago. They say the sick day payments are a "scam."

Illinois sleaze isn't limited to the "public servants" of Chicago and Cook County.

Sure, $6,400 isn't a lot of money, even in Cahokia, but a little here, and a little there...you know, it all adds up to a lot of money.

Technorati tags:

No comments: