Thursday, November 05, 2009

Upper Peninsula Upventure: Logging

Upper Peninsula Upventure now turns its eyes to commerce. The U.P. has two main industries, tourism, which is what brought me to northern Michigan in August, and logging.

Thousands once worked in the copper and iron mines of the Upper Peninsula, but just two mines remain, although a third, near Marquette, has been proposed.

Coincidentally, logging and mining are among the world's most dangerous professions. But making a living has always been tough in the U.P.

On the right is a recently harvested forest.

Next: Pasties

Related post:

My Mississippi Manifest Destiny: Logging

Technorati tags:

3 comments:

Jim Roper said...

Hi John, do you have any pictures
of the porcupine mtns?

Jim Roper said...

I don't think the iron ore mines
are even in operation anymore are
they John?

Marathon Pundit said...

Just two iron mines. A nickel and copper mine is being proposed for the Yellow Dog Plains, near Marquette.

I didn't want to pay $8 to get for admittance into the Porcupine Mtn State Park, but I got part of the mountains in my post about Little Girls Point, a beach on Lake Superior.