Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Fired vegan teacher trying to get job back

I guess his veganism explains Dennis Kucinich's spunkiness. For another example, there is Dave Warwak who until recently taught art at a middle school in McHenry County, IL. He was fired last month, but the Wisconsin resident requesting an appeal of that decision with the Illinois State Board of Education:

From the Northwest Herald:

His letter accuses school officials of preventing him from performing his duties as an art teacher at Fox River Grove Middle School and of exposing him to "hatred, contempt, and ridicule" while he was trying to perform those duties.

Board members voted, 7-0, to fire Warwak on Sept. 24. They said he began teaching veganism and animal rights instead of art without telling school officials or parents, told students to keep it a secret, and then refused to answer school officials’ questions about what he was teaching.

Earlier in September, Warwak had distributed literature to students that school officials and parents said contained graphic images about animal cruelty in food production that were inappropriate for middle school children.

Warwak said he offered the information as a response to the school's refusal to remove posters promoting milk from the cafeteria. In his letter Wednesday, he wrote that he was educating students about the power of advertising in the visual arts.

This man is wasting his time teaching in middle school. He should be giving a tenured university position immediately where he can spew his wisdom and not worried about getting canned.

Related posts:

Militant vegan teacher fired

Oh those middle school art teachers...

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

earthsista said...

I am a vegan, and I totally empathise with this chap, in every way. But I also agree that a University position would be more suitable for him. Or maybe Community College, in Australia it's called T.A.F.E.

If David had spoken to the children in his ex school in a more controlled environment, even with the parents there it would have been another matter. And yes, the parents might have jacked up and said no, I don't want my kids seeing this. But at least then he could say he had tried to do it the right way.

David, please we need you. See if you can get a position at a Community College or University. The word needs to get out that veganism is the only way to go, but it needs to be done in a positive, happy and compassionate way.

earthsista said...

Hi, I want to apologise ..........as Lisa The Vegan is my daughter. But I can't find my way in here under my nic, which is ilovenature5; and my name is Debbie.

You know, I have been doing alot of reading today. And yes, I do think it is a good idea to let teenagers from say 14 up know about the corrupt beef and milk industry. But the problem is they are going to get upset when they see the disgusting images of slaughtered innocent animals. We want to educate our young, not traumatise them. So while the young are being educated the parents needs to be educated too. And I do, do my best. My daughter Lisa and myself are vegan. My 27 year old son became a flexatarian and I am so happy with this, it certainly is a start. And my oldest daughter 30 is very serious about becoming vegetarian.

Good luck Dave, and everyone in America on educating our beautiful children about veganism.

And I will tell you why alot of people aren't vegan or vegetarian, and it is my own new quote ..... "intentional ignorance is not bliss
it is denial in its worse form".