Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Obama and his vacant lot neighbor, Tony Rezko

Last month, major Democratic fundraiser Tony Rezko was indicted on corruption charges. Rezko is accused of shaking down Illinois businesses to contribute to the campaign fund of Gov. Rod Blagojevich in a "pay to play" scheme.

Rezko has befriended many Democratic politicians. Including US Sen. Barack Obama.

Like Jack Abramoff, Tony Rezko--in Illinois--has become a poster child of political corruption.

From the Chicago "Free registration required" Tribune:

When Sen. Barack Obama decided to buy a stately $1.65 million home last year on Chicago's South Side, Antoin "Tony" Rezko and his wife wasted no time. The same day the Obamas closed on the house, the Rezkos closed on the purchase of the adjoining vacant lot, which once was the estate's lush side yard.

More...
(Says Obama about the deal) "My working assumption was that as long as I operated in an open, up-front fashion, and all the T's were crossed and I's were dotted, that it wouldn't be an issue," Obama said. "If it was a neighbor I didn't know at all, would I have behaved any differently? I felt like the answer was no."

Obama added: "Tony has been a supporter of mine since my first race for state Senate."

And he said: "I haven't been involved with him in any legislative work whatsoever or any government activities of any sort."

I'm not very knowledgeable on real estate matters, but this whole Rezko-Obama thing is pretty strange.

Technorati tags:

No comments: