Friday, August 21, 2015

(Photos) The abandoned Greystone Motel in Three Rivers, Michigan

Because of the plethora of summer camps in the area, there are surprisingly many hotels and motels in Three Rivers, Michigan in the southwestern part of the state.

One of the first was probably the Greystone Motel at 59271 S. US Highway 131, which is diagonally across the street from the big Meier's store. It closed around ten years ago.


Weeds are growing in the asphalt.


Inside the office. Was this a small laundry room?


The stones of the hotel are the color of...c'mon now, you know. There appears to be small trees growing in the gutter.


When I was a boy motels such as the Greystone were common even in cities.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It breaks my heart to see this. Decades ago, my grandparents owned this hotel. They were immigrants from Germany and this was the third hotel they owned. They took great pride in their properties and always worked to make the place perfect. This truly was a really fantastic hotel at one point in time. Sad to see that it has fallen in disrepair. I would love to go and walk through this property if it is still standing.

Marathon Pundit said...

I'm sorry too. And to think I was about 40 miles from there a couple of weeks ago. My wife and her friends are in the area a lot in the summer as there is a Latvian camp in Three Rivers--my wife is Latvian. Someone I know will be in that area this summer. I'll do a follow up comment for you in a few months.

texascool said...

When I was a kid me and my brother and Grandparents would stay in the Greystone Motel on our way to L'Anse Michigan. And across the street was a Big Boy Restaurant. Didn't the Greystone Motel use to have a pool in the early 80's?

Anonymous said...

I’m sad, with ya! My Parents, Grandparents, and Great Grandparents, all traveled along M-12, between Round Lake, Illinois,and Lansing, Michigan. The Greystone, was their halfway point, and they would always book room, there. I was little then, so, I think it was in the late 50’s. For sure, it was al through the 60’s and 70’s. I stayed there, as a kid and later, a teenager, during that time, and, in my own, in ‘77-‘79. After my Grandparents passed, all of the families eventually moved out west, until there was no one, to visit.