Monday, October 10, 2011

Video: OccupyChicago protester is a paid volunteer, UPDATED

After I completed my Chicago Marathon coverage yesterday afternoon, I returned to the OccupyChicago protest in the Loop. By then forty protesters were there. I spoke with Paul, who admitted to me that he is a paid volunteer.

When I ask him--above the roar of the drums--if he's looking for a job, He replied, "It is a full-time gig." OccupyChicago is, he means. And he's getting paid, or at least accepting donations from "people that like me--benefactors." He judges the worth of his volunteering at $22-an-hour. "And I get overtime too."



I wonder who his benefactors are? As for them, he makes sure "they get their money's worth."


Related post:

Video: OccupyChicago protester not looking for job, he "likes being in the moment"

UPDATE October 11: A New York Craig's List ad is looking to hire protesters. "A full benefits package" is being offered. And Fox Business News, with help from the Daily Caller, discovered that some OccupyDC protesters are being paid.

UPDATE October 12--Some lib caught up with Paul yesterday, who denies that he is being paid to protest at OccupyChicago.



However, I stand by my original story. Oh, I'm not a liar.

I have some follow up questions:

1) Paul, who are your benefactors?

2) How do you give them "their money's worth?"

3) Are you being paid to be a protester, but not specifically at OccupyChicago?

4) If you are not being paid to protest, how can you be receiving overtime?

Hat tip to Illinois Review for the second video.

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

dogstar7 said...

I'm your "lib" who caught up with "Paul". Why should anyone answer your "questions"? It's not as if you are actually interested in the answers, are you? If you were, you would have verified your original story. The truth remains that Paul is not being paid. Your "questions" simply illustrate your attempt at rationalization and continued sophistry.

Marathon Pundit said...

Let's see, your group hogs a public sidewalk and removes cops from other duties to keep an eye on you guys and to manage traffic. You claim to speak for 99 percent of the population, yet you tell me, "Why should anyone answer your 'questions?'"

As for verifying my story, what I placed on my blog and YouTube is 3 1/2 minutes of raw video.

I plead guilty to an "attempt at rationalization,' however.