Thursday, January 13, 2011

The face of Illinois: Public-sector union members chanting "Raise my taxes"

Illinois, the tax-raising national laughing stock, just hiked its personal income tax rate by 67 percent and its corporate income tax by 46 percent.

In the video, you'll see the real face of Illinois government--public-sector union members chanting "Raise My Taxes" in front of the state capitol.

As I wrote yesterday, they are really chanting "Keep me in my unfire-able job," and "Keep paying my unsustainable pensions," and "Keep my pay raises." There were 15,000 of them at the rally. Why weren't they working? The rally took place on an April weekday. According to the Illinois Education Association, 5,000 of them were members of IEA, which means not only did the state pay them to "work" that day, substitutes had to be hired so their students would teachers in the classroom.




As for the tax increase: Repeal. As for the politicians who voted for it: Replace them. Teacher tenure: Get rid of it.

As for Governor Pat Quinn: Recall him.

Technorati tags:

No comments: