Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Purple coneflowers

Over the next few weeks, when the mood strikes me, I'm going to post a photograph of a flower I've seen during my many travels.

Pictured are purple coneflowers, a member of the aster family. The drooping pedals are a characteristic of coneflowers.

I found these flowers at Iowa's Effigy Mounds National Monument. The site was important to the Mississippian Culture Indians who lived there, and purple coneflowers were valued for their medicinal qualities by later Native Americans.

Related posts:

A final look at Effigy Mounds National Monument
More Effigy Mounds
Effigy Mounds National Monument
Four Corners Furtherance: Flowers

Technorati tags:  

High Sierra Mugsy Day Pack - Wildflowers

1 comment:

kate said...

i love these flowers. they grow well in oregon where i live and i've planted them everywhere!!! :)